Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post 8

Dr. Richard Miller's "This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2"

Dr. Miller starts off in his presentation in Part 1 explaining how we have learned. He says we have learned through books and grown up in places full of books and we have researched through books. However, times are changing and now you can do all your learning through a computer. He goes on to explain that he was asked to do a paper on the Virginia Tech shooting and he explains that he was able to write his paper with all the research needed without having to go to a library. He was able to go onto the web and see how candidates voted on a certain issue where you cannot do that with a book right after the vote is made. He also explains that his paper is not only available in print but also online. He also explains that we are able to collaborate projects now without ever having to meet in person. He uses the project he did on Martin Luther King Jr. as an example. The paper is not only text but also has audio and video that was found on the internet and from talks on campus. My favorite thing mentioned is the movable voting map that news channels are now seeing as a necessity. Theses maps show, as it is happening, who people are voting for in the presidential election. The one thing he emphasizes is that all of these are incremental changes not fundamental changes.

Dr. Miller continues to explain these changes in Part 2 by explaining where we work. In this video he starts off showing we research on the laptop. He goes on to give examples. One he uses is of a whale hunt and how it depicts the energy that goes into a hunt by showing to video documentary. He also explains that iTunesU is used for academic lessons and lectures and people are starting to realize that ideas belong to our culture not just an individual person. I think the most important part of this video is when he states, "We as educators must be in the business of sharing ideas freely." He also says that the limits and restrictions are ones that we largely put on ourselves when it comes to sharing information. The internet also helps with publication. Dr. Miller explains that if he was to try to publish this video through a publishing company it would have taken longer than it took to put it on youtube. Dr. Miller than explains what is ahead. He talks about Johnathon Harris and how he is composing with the web, not using the alphabet or images but using aggregating bots that search certain topics. He then sums it all up by saying for us to achieve this we need inspiring teachers, spaces for collaborative learning, pedagogies, and ubiquitous technology. He finishes his second video with saying "We can do this, we should do this!"

After watching this video I am excited to see how technology will change by the time I graduate. I think by the time I start to teach my students will be able to write with multimedia. I hope that I will be able to keep up with the technology. I am prepared to take classes if I need to and also keep up to date through the internet. I am already starting to write through multimedia so in the next few years I think I will be able to fully write in multimedia.

Carly Pugh's Blog Post 12

Carly's post is extraordinary! I know Carly personally and this post is so her. I have a love for English like she does and all the details are just amazing. Dr. Strange is right when he commented and told her she took what Dr. Miller said and applied it. She doesn't just come close to Dr. Miller's idea I think she goes beyond. If she just posted the videos with a title description anybody watching the videos would know what kind of teacher she wants to be. They would also know what her interests are and type person she is. I hope that I will be as creative as this post when I am a teacher.

EDM 310 for Dummies and The Chipper Series

I watched both of these movies at the beginning of the semester and really did not take them seriously. Now that you have had us rewatch them I wish I would have taken them seriously and applied what they were trying to teach us. I would love to make a movie about how to approach this class. I would include my idea of an easy way to organize the assignments for each week. That was the hardest thing for me this semester is to not let everything pile up on Sunday. I think this video would be very helpful and informational.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

The first thing that came to mind when I was watching this video is that EDM 310 is exactly like the classroom they are describing. I got a smile on my face when I thought the classroom they are saying we need is one that I am in now. In the video they talk about the technology that is banned in schools. I agree when they say we are taking a part of learning away. One of the speakers said schools is only one place they are learning, they are also learning in the community, at home,museums, and especially on the internet. I am excited to see if classrooms will change in the future. I think it is time for a class to become more technology literate. Students already know how to use a lot of the material, but they do not know how each of the things they use now can be used for education. I think this type of classroom will really have children want to engage more in the learning process.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0

3. Make your own Comic strip



4. Animoto.com/education- this video tool lets you bring lessons to life. This tool lets teachers make videos and they can share them in a classroom, through email, on a blog, or through any social network. This tool lets teachers use there pictures, music, and videos to put together a fun and new way of giving a lesson to students.

5. Make your own poll

3 comments:

  1. "I would love to make a movie about how to approach this class. I would include my idea of an easy way to organize the assignments for each week." Why don't you do it? It would make a great project 16!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I love your idea of making a movie on how to approach this class. Very creative! Well written post! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sarah! You made my day!
    I agree with Melissa, your post was well written and creative! I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete